Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review: Mister Heavenly

Out of Love
by Mister Heavenly


Impression:   It seems like supergroups are a trending musician side project -- example: Tinted Windows which has Taylor Hanson, James Iha from the Smashing Pumpkins, Adam Schlesinger  from Fountains of Wayne, and Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick....I know....weird group but, trust me, it's working.  Mister Heavenly is comprised of Honus Honus of Man Man, Nicholas Thorburn of The Unicorns, and Joe Plummer of Modest Mouse, with Michael Cera of "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" fame as their touring bassist.  Sounds super awesome to me!  Out of Love is their first album and it kicks off with "Bronx Sniper" which starts off all sweet and indie and then immediately busts out into a raw, powerful anthem.  The whole album has that indie sound you'd expect mixed experimentally with influences from Doo Wop, Reggae, and sometimes, a dash of Grunge.  This makes for some interesting tracks that aren't always what you expect.  Great lyrics throughout, so I'll just highlight a few of my favorites -- Is it too late say that I want you/More than a man should ever admit to/Is it passe to say that I need you/More than a man should ever commit to -- the first line from "Reggae Pie" which, as you might have guessed, has a cool laid back vibe in addition to telling words.  "Harm You," in my opinion, channels Chris Isaac a tad at the beginning but -- come on -- who doesn't love Chris Isaac, my friends?  All in all, great freshman album -- it definitely has variety and that is always a plus in my book.

Check Out: "Bronx Sniper," "Reggae Pie," and "Wise Man" to get a sampling of all the different flavors they are trying out but the whole album is worth a listen and, for what it's worth, made it onto my Buy list. 

Sounds Like:  Supercool Indie Rock not constrained by the boundaries of genre

Buy it Here:  Amazon and iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment