Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Song Du Jour -- Double Dose

The Suburbs (Arcade Fire Cover)
by Mr. Little Jeans


Here's a great cover of Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs" which, as you know, was on the album that won the Canadian-based band Album of the Year at the Grammy's.  I like it because, aside from the singer's voice, it captures that wistful vibe of the lyrics that is so fantastic about the original and presents it in a way that is both similar and unique.  Highly synthesized, so you lose the fantastic instrumental parts, but Mr. Little Jeans hopes to make up for it with her beautiful-disarming-and-soothing voice.  Just FYI -- Mr. Little Jeans is well-known enough to have a last.fm page but not enough to have a wikipedia.  You'd think that would be the second thing an artist would do after establishing their presence on the Internet....Facebook, Twitter, then Wikipedia....okay, third thing.  Anyway, I love this song.  It makes me think of simpler times.  Running through the sprinklers, making forts out of couch cushions, eating s'mores.  Now, I walk past all the cookie-cutter tract homes and just feel....resentment.  ::sigh:: I guess bitterness is the price of experience...probably a bad attitude.  Some doctors just published a study about how bitterness fucks up your life in more ways than one.  I haven't read it, but I'm sure it's legit.  I'm on a tangent, so I'll stop now.  Just because I love the original so much, you can watch it after the jump.

The Suburbs
by Arcade Fire




No comments:

Post a Comment