Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Song Du Jour

Eyes Like Yours
by Shakira


This song is off Shakira's first crossover album, Laundry Service, and is my one of my favorites.  For those of you who didn't know, Shakira comes from a medley of different ethnicities -- Spanish, various Middle Eastern countries, and Italian -- which she tries to blend into her music.  This song is heavily influenced by her Middle Eastern background (there is even a moment when she sings in Arabic...at least, I think it's Arabic) and gives the artist plenty of time to showcase her belly dancing talent.  I like it because there is something very primal about the music and I have often considered one of the best songs for which to form a heathen dancing circle around a bonfire.  It's dramatically different from what she has been releasing lately as singles.  It's probably one of her lesser known songs here in America, and in my opinion, the Spanish version ("Ojos Asi") is better because something gets lost in translation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment