Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Song du Jour

Coin-Operated Boy
by The Dresden Dolls

Let's do something a little different today....Here we have The Dresden Dolls, one of my favorite bands.  They have what would be considered a dark cabaret style.  They are a hiatus,starting in 2008 (during which Amanda Palmer has been working/mentoring? with other dark cabaret groups, like Evelyn Evelyn) but they got back together briefly in 2010 to do a short reunion tour.  They aren't done forever, says Brian Viglione, but they'll return to work when it "feels right."  This song is off their 2001 album Dresden Dolls.  Great, poignant lyrics--favorite line:  Coin-Operated boy/ with a pretty coin-operated voice/saying that he loves me/and that he's thinking of me/straight and to the point/that is why I want a coin-operated boy.

I went on a search spree on last.fm last night, inspired by Rouge Fonce, the dark cabaret band I found last week.  Be prepared for a heavy dose of darkwave/dark cabaret/steampunk in the upcoming Weekly Haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment