Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Will the real Justin Beiber please stand up?

This is NOT the droid
your looking for...
Yesterday, I dropped my little sister off at her Restaurant Finance class and was driving home when I heard a rather....erm....amusing advertisement.  There is a Justin Bieber impersonator and he is coming to my hometown for a spectacular one night engagement!  I shit you not!  But really, the funniest thing about the radio commercial is the way they were advertising it -- telling people that they could almost meet Justin Bieber; they could almost hear him live in concert.  Very tongue-in-cheek...I almost didn't think it was a real event.  I'm very curious to see how many people actually go to see this kid -- J.B. is what he calls himself -- but my main reaction is....Really America? Really?!

I'm going to be honest -- I am one of the few in my city who hasn't succumbed to Bieber Fever and I realize now that not everyone is immune.  Even one of my dad's friends is a Bieber-ite and he's a 50-ish-year-old former fighter pilot!  And he has a jazz musician for a son!  What the hell?!  The only performance I've seen was the one at the Grammy's and I was not particularly impressed (did any one else hear him hit those sour notes? No?  Just me then...).  Musically, I agree, he might be very talented -- I've seen the videos of him drumming at age 5 or whatever, so I won't even argue the point -- but he is a total factory boy and I'm not buying the story that he was lucky enough to just happen to run into Usher at a supermarket and Usher felt like listening to his music.  It's a lovely fairytale, but this is America, so excuse me if I'm skeptical.  And the sh*t that he's released on the radio -- well, I believe he can give his fans better, even if he is a corporate confection.  The question is, though -- Do his fans (the tween age group, who hold, ironically, the most commercial buying power) want better?  Meh...I think they're happy with what they've got.  And that's why I'm not very hopeful for the future of pop music. 

Back to our boy, J.B.  He is a real person and he is making a decent living pretending to be Justin Bieber.  From what I understand, the demand for Bieber performances is so great (and expensive) that when J.B. shows up in town, parents tell their kids they're going to see the real deal because they won't be close enough to see what he really is....AN IMPOSTER!!!!  Fantastic scam, really.  Wish I had thought of it.  I've watched a couple youtube videos and the kid is amazingly life-like in his make believe.  And, honestly, how hard is it to get that haircut?  Half the teen stars on Canadian television had it before it was popularized by the 16-year-old "heartthrob." ::cough:: Really, America?::cough::

You know what I consider this?  Terrorism.  Pure, unadulterated Canadian terrorism.  And The Biebs must be stopped.  Who's with me?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment