Monday, August 22, 2011

A Rocky Horror Homophobe Incident

I'm just going to lay this out nice and simple:  homophobia is downright repugnant to my sensibilities.  I don't find it attractive, I don't find it justified, and I certainly don't think it's acceptable.  And yes, it is a deal breaker for me.  I'm still with The Boyfriend 6 years later because, after one of his oldest friends came out to him, he had to analyze his beliefs and he found that he didn't actually believe them anymore so he changed his behavior.  I find that commendable and I wish more people would take the time to do as much.  Now, time for the rant.  My sister's boyfriend, I've noticed, is homophobic.  Alot more homophobic than I originally had guessed, just based on our conversations, but I let it slide because he's not my boyfriend and my sister can make her own life choices. 

The other day, however, The Rocky Horror Picture Show was on television and I was like "Hey, I haven't seen this in a while...." and nothing else was on TV so I was like what the hell.  My sister and her boyfriend were schmoozing on the couch -- which annoys me but my sister refuses to heed my requests to be more discrete so what can I do? -- so I figured they wouldn't care what I watched.  I changed the channel and, since it had already started, the movie was at Tim Curry's entrance as Frankenfurter.  An awesome musical number, by the way, and one of my favorite parts.  But, the minute he noticed what was on the screen, my sister's boyfriend was wailing "What is this?  Why are we watching this?" -- clearly, he was upset by the crossdressing Tim Curry, despite his dead sexy crooning about Transexual Transylvania.  I'll be honest -- I wanted to slap him but instead, I obliged him and changed the channel because I was brought up in what can ostensibly be considered The South and you have to keep your guests comfortable -- even if the "guests" are practically living at your house and aren't very courteous. 


I have incredibly fond memories of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."  I first saw it when I was like 13, when my dad was like "This movie is great and you need to watch it...you should be old enough now."  Now, this may seem an odd recommendation for a parent to make but you have to understand that my dad is probably the coolest person I know -- an opinion that is shared by all of my friends and I hang out with some super cool motherf*ckers.  In college, it was a yearly tradition for my friends and I to go to a showing of Rocky Horror around Halloween and at this showing, people dressed up (usually in lingerie of some sort, including the guys) and they made use of all the props -- people threw rice during the wedding scene, called out "Slut" whenever the actors said the name "Janet," and whenever it was raining, the building sprinklers would come on or people would squirt waterguns -- if you ever have a chance to go to a live show like this (hopefully with a costume contest and giveaways), I highly recommend not missing the oppurtunity.  It is perhaps one of the most fun things you will do on a Friday night.  I've seen Rocky Horror a bunch of times, sing during all the songs, and get up and dance whenever I hear The Time Warp playing.  These were seriously good times, people.
What could be wrong about a
sweet Transvestite from Transexual Transylvania?

So, when someone isn't open to an experience --like a fantastic cult classic -- I get irritated that they are limiting their mind and tastes because of stupid, unfounded predjudices.  Newsflash:  WATCHING A MOVIE DOESN'T TURN YOU GAY!!  In fact, nothing can "turn" you gay if you don't have the predilection to be attracted to the same sex in the first place, so stop freaking out about it.  And believe you me, if my sister's boyfriend ever uses the F-word around me, I'm going to toss him out of our house on his ass.  I don't have the time or patience for such nonsense.  Hospitality be damned.

2 comments:

  1. Ahaha! Everyone should love Rocky Horror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an ignorant person.. although they do say the ones who express hyper-homophobia can be closeted homosexuals who are denying their sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete